Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Self-fulfilling Prophecy

If I write a blog stating that this year will be one of transition, odds are I'll think it's a prayer and then if it's a prayer God is sure to answer it in some fashion. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've never liked transitions, unless of course they're easy and/or selfish ones. I'd prefer the easy ones. I'd prefer the ones where everything is laid out and recognizable. There have been times where hard decisions during transition times are easier to make because of the signs being shown.

Such as when I was failing my science classes at Dordt, I began to question God's call on my life to do clinical laboratory science. I began to understand that He wanted me to do ministry but I wasn't sure. I kept looking for signs. I begged and pleaded and prayed to Him that He might reveal His Will. It finally came down to that one day when I went to the registrar to ask about how to change majors and how my classes would work out. The registrar's secretary and I had been talking for a while and she finally just asked me, "Do you want to change your major?" It hit me then that I did want to change to ministry and I've never looked back.


Also during transition points you are torn between tradition and the comfortability that comes with it and the future and uncertainty that comes with it. They are both positive things. I could stay around Sioux Center and work for Hope Haven all my life. I could try to get a job at Dordt doing spiritual guidance and counseling. Those would be the easy choices. The hard choices involve moving and getting a place of my own and getting a real job that I may or may not be great at.

One way I've legitimately justified waiting around to make the transition is this: spiritual strength. I know the story of salvation and I can put Scripture into good words for sermons and messages. But I don't truly KNOW Scripture. I met some amazing people this summer who have memorized parts of Scripture for various reasons. But here's the thing: no matter why they memorized it, they can still apply those memorized verses to numerous situations during their days. It's an amazing thing to not only look to Scripture when you have a sermon in mind but it's more amazing to know Scripture and let it lead your day and actions.

I think that's the transition that needs to happen: take my faith seriously by having outwardly actions. For 5 years at Dordt I studied the Bible for all my classes and I absorbed it. That was truly a good thing because what I believed was detailed on a daily basis. But on a daily basis, did I feed myself by reading Scripture just for the sake of reading it? Did I meditate on it for my own life rather than for journals? Did I learn to LOVE reading the Bible? Did my prayer journal get filled twice a day? No. I truly believe that before I do any sort of full-time ministry I ought to come to that level of spirituality.

Pray that I might reach that level in God's timing and with His blessing.

No comments: