Monday, September 1, 2008

...such small sacrifice...

LifeLight=Amazing for every reason imaginable: reunited friends, awesome bands worshipping God and a great atmosphere in general.

We sang and danced all night. Our bodies were definitely in motion and it was sweet! As we listened to Natalie Grant sing, she was all about the "put your hands in the air." It was sweet to see everybody doing it and having a good time, too. But then I noticed my own hands in the air for songs to which I didn't know the words. I found myself questioning my motives for raising my hands. Yes, it was good for me to worship with the rest of the people around me. It was truly a beautiful picture of the body of Christ worshipping instead of individuals worshipping.

But then Casting Crowns came out to sing. I know their songs. I love their songs, both musically and lyrically. They speak to me about things I've always known but in ways I've never considered. Their song "Lifesong" is (pardon my French) FRICKIN' AMAZING!! I love what this song says and I love the tune and I knew I would raise my hands for this song. But the words of the songs speak directly to that act of raising the hands.

Empty hands held high
Such small sacrifice
If not joined with my life
I sing in vain tonight

May the words I say
And the things I do
Make my lifesong sing
Bring a smile to You

Chorus:Let my lifesong sing to You
Let my lifesong sing to You
I want to sign your name to the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to You

Lord, I give my life
A living sacrifice
To reach a world in need
To be Your hands and feet

So may the words I say
And the things I do
Make my lifesong sing
Bring a smile to you

After raising my hands for no apparent reason during Natalie Grant and after hearing and loving that song so much, I couldn't help but think, "Why do we so easily follow the leader in church but never outside of church?" In other words, at a Christian concert with thousands of believers and a great artist singing, we raise our hands as soon as we're asked. But, and I'm speaking primarily about myself, when we leave that Christ-focused arena and enter the "real" world, do we offer the rest of our bodies as living sacrifices? Why must we only be church-people on Sunday? Why can't we follow the other things the leaders/singers say such as giving up that big sin in our life or getting out of our comfort zone for Christ?

One of the hardest things I wrestle with is how to be a Christian when I'm around those who aren't Christians. If I can raise my hands in worship at a concert for no reason, then why can't I worship after the concert for a GREAT reason: Jesus.

My comfort zone has been broken recently. I realize now that all those times I've said "no" to God about doing a mission trip in a foreign country was a stupid thing to say. God has different plans for me. It's not about me and my comfort zone. So many times I've heard speakers and singers mention that giving yourself as a living sacrifice is mandatory as a believer. So many times I've raised my hands in acknowledgment of that fact but failed to follow it after that time is over.

Just so you know, I'll be doing a foreign mission trip sometime in the future. Sooner than later.
I gotta let my lifesong sing!
We gotta let our lifesongs sing!

No comments: