Saturday, January 26, 2008

Debby In Winterland

I still remember the day I found out that I could bark like a dog. Not just any bark, but a realistic bark. Since then, this little quirk has followed me like a shadow. "Bark!" here and "Arf" there. And I've accepted the role and taken it seriously at times.

I still remember the day when I first watched Alice in Wonderland. Just another Disney movie about a girl minding her own business on a riverbank and winds up chasing a white rabbit down a hole. Tumbling and tossing into the Wonderland, Alice finds herself without a lot of control of the situations around her. One wonders at the moral of the story and whether it's actually more than just a dream.

I still remember the day when I first chased a rabbit on Dordt's campus, barking like a dog. It definitely attracted attention and caught my friends off guard.

What is my proverbial rabbit? What am I chasing? (If you know me, it's not a hard question) But the conclusion I've already come to is that I don't have a lot of control of what goes on around me. But I want control. I'm not a controlling person by nature. But when you want something so badly and you get curious, you tend to put aside what really matters and pour all of yourself into that endeavor. Passion is good but it works better if it's paired with some sense of how to do it right. I must not have it right yet. I must not have the skills.

I still feel helpless in this Winterland called Iowa.

No comments: