Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Feelin' Like That

A recent conversation was definitely fun because we talked about those times when it's almost like deja vu. You can absolutely sense that you are in a different place or time from the past and you've already been there. I suppose this could be a sad occurrence if the previous time/place had depressing events. But the memories we shared during this talk were fun times.

Here are some of my highlights:

Summer of '04?
I wish I could remember the exact year which might add credibility to my story. But the memories remain (haha) This summer I was living at home in Kansas. I was asked to help Brent Koops do his painting work on a particularly large house. So I did, not knowing what was going to happen to me. If it was '04, then it was the summer after my first year of college; the year in which I flunked out. During this summer I was writing an appeal letter, which ended up being 17 pages long, single spaced. So I probably wasn't in the best of moods until I started painting. It wasn't the painting or the heat which made me happy. It was the music. Just a simple radio with the dinky antenna and no bass whatsoever. We listened to country music for a week. In high school, I didn't listen to it because country wasn't 'cool'. But I fell in love with it. I think it came at the perfect time. I needed country music to fill the gap I was feeling with regard to my education. I felt like something was missing and country was a perfect fit. I've been in love with it ever since.

The Shack
It's our homemade hang-out. It's literally in the middle of nowhere; as in, not even cell phone signals can find it. Despite the rambunctious nature of the activities mainly done at the shack, it's overall feeling is still incredible. Bonfire, beer and babes are what most frequenters to the shack say are its main ideals. I thoroughly enjoyed the parties and the 'camaradarie' and the atmosphere, but I also enjoyed the quiet moments.
I've spent time on the front porch of this building into which I've poured several man-hours not to mention the blood and sweat. The completed building is a place of solitude on weekdays. With miles of scenery to the south, deer and other prarie animals make their living. After a hard day's work on the shack, the stillness makes it all worth it, especially contrasted with the wild weekends. Someday I'll take my guitar out there and see what flows out of it.

What 'feelings' do you get? I'd like to hear about them.

No comments: